MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING OF the BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, MARCH 10, 1970
The Board of County Commissioners of Lake County, Florida, met in special session in the Commissioners’ Room in the Courthouse, Tavares, Florida, on Tuesday, March 10, 1970, at 9:00 o’clock A.M. for the purpose of receiving primary and secondary road requests for the next five years (70-71 through 74-75), and any other business which might be brought before the Board.
The Chairman called the meeting to order with the following members present: James R. Carson, Jr., Chairman; Commissioners Alex J. Macdonell, J. M. Hoskinson, Thomas J. Windram, and Kenneth VanAuken. Others present were Attorney C. C. Ford, County Engineer Gordon Hays, Jr., Clerk of Circuit Court Frank E. Owens and Deputy Clerk Norma H. Coven.
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman and the invocation was given by Mr. Hays. The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag was recited by those present.
ROADS – STATE AND COUNTY
The Chairman announced the requests will be heard in accordance with the schedule prepared by the Clerk, whereupon, representatives of the municipalities presented the following requests:
Tavares – Primary Roads:
1. Improve the intersection of Old SR 500 and SR 452 by providing left turn lanes on Old SR 500.
2. Improve the intersection of Old SR 500 and Sinclair Avenue by providing left turn lanes on Old SR 500.
3. Resurface Old SR 500.
4. Resurface SR 452 in Tavares.
5. Four lane SR 19 from Old SR 500 to Howey.
1. Widen and resurface Lake Harris Drive from SR 19 to Glenn’s Cove.
Mt. Dora – Primary Roads:
1. Four lane SR 19-A from Golden Triangle Shopping Center to SR 500 Interchange South of Eustis.
2. Resurface Old SR 500 from West City Limits to SR 19-A.
3. Four lane SR 46 from SR 500 East to Seminole County Line.
4. Widen and resurface Old SR 500 (Highland St.) from South City Limits to Fifth Avenue.
1. Widen and resurface Eudora Road from Old SR 500 North to New SR 500; acquire necessary rights of way.
2. Construct 24’ secondary road from Liberty Street Southerly to Palm Island.
Eustis – Primary Roads:
1. Widen and resurface Bates Ave. from SR 19 (Grove St.) to Bay St.
2. Four lane SR 19 North to Palatka.
3. Four lane SR 44 East to Deland.
1. Connect Laurel Oak Drive East to Getford Road.
2. Construct SR 452-A from SR 19 East to SR 44-A.
1. Improve Haselton Street (County #4-5167) from Lakeview Avenue North to SR 44.
Umatilla – Primary Roads:
1. Four lane SR 19 from SR 450 North to Lake County Line.
2. Widen and resurface SR 42 from SR 19 in Altoona to SR 44.
1. Improve County Road #5-7672 to County Road #5-7776 and continue to SR 450.
2. Improve County Road #5-7973 to SR 439.
3. Improve Owens Lane from SR 450 Northerly to Lake Street.
Groveland – Primary Roads:
1. Four lane SR 50 from Sumter County Line to Orange County.
2. Improve SR 19 from SR 50 to Groveland City Limits.
3. Improve SR 33 from SR 50 to SR 561.
Leesburg – Primary Roads:
1. North-South traffic artery from Dixie Ave. to North Boulevard (SR 500).
2. Widen and resurface Dixie Avenue from Canal St. to SR 25.
3. Widen and resurface East Main Street (SR 44) from Lake Street to East Street.
4. Widen and resurface Canal Street from SR 500 to Dixie Ave.
5. Widen and resurface Lee Street from SR 500 to Ninth St.
6. Install traffic light at intersection of Citizen’s Boulevard and SR 25.
Fruitland Park – Primary Roads:
1. Construct cross-over at intersection of SR 500/25 at Grizzard Ave.
2. Install caution signal at entrance to Ballo Thermometer Co. on SR 500/25.
3. Correct drainage at the foot of Myrtle Street and SR 500.
Minneola – City Streets:
1. Improve Pearl Street from Minneola Ave. To SR 25.
2. Construct Minneola Street East from SR 25 to school.
3. Resurface and widen Center Street from SR 25 to MVI Station.
4. Construct Disston Avenue from Washington Street to MVI Station.
5. Install school flashing signal at Pearl Street and SR 25.
Clermont – Primary Road:
1. Four lane SR 50 from Sumter County line to Orange County.
Ferndale – Primary Road:
1. Widen and resurface SR 455 from SR 561-A in Ferndale to SR 19.
Mascotte – Primary Road:
1. Four lane SR 50 from Mascotte through Groveland to Clermont.
2. Install traffic signal at SR 50 and SR 33 intersection.
Howey – County Roads:
1. Include Cypress and Dupont Streets on County maintenance.
2. Resurface Lakeshore Blvd. North to Poinsettia.
This concluded the road requests.
recess and reassembly
The Board recessed for lunch at 11:45 o’clock A.M. and reconvened at 1:00 o’clock P.M. to consider the road requests.
roads – state
On motion of Commr. Macdonell, seconded by Commr. VanAuken and carried, the following Resolution was adopted designating the construction of primary roads in the priority in which they appear:
SEE PAGES NO. 44, 45, 46 AND 47
There being no further business to bring before the Board, the meeting adjourned at 5:45 o’clock P.M.