MINUTES OF the special MEETING OF BOARD OF COUNTY commissioners
monday – february 29, 1960
The Board of County Commissioners met in Special Session in the County Commissioners room in the Courthouse at Tavares on Monday, February 29, 1960 at ten o’clock a.m. for the purpose of designating Primary and Secondary roads for the 1960-1961 State Road Department budget and such other business as may be brought before the Board, with the following present: Chairman Cross; Commissioners Theus, Cowart, Bishop and Simpson; Attorney Duncan; and Clerk Owens.
The Board was called to order by Chairman Cross.
A delegation being present, Chairman Cross announced the delegation will be heard by cities alphabetically, although the Lake County Chamber of Commerce will be heard first. WHEREUPON, Mr. C. B. Treadway and Mr. G. G. Ware, as the Road Committee of the Lake County Chamber of Commerce, discussed the proposition of 4-laning US 441 and the 4-laning of the extension of SR 25 from Leesburg South to the Polk County line. Mr. Ware asked that the highways through Lake County be completed, even if the Board has to borrow the money for the project.
No one was present from Astor, Altoona, and Astatula, although a resolution from Astatula Town Council requesting that SR 561 be placed on the priority list for rebuilding was filed.
CLERMONT: A delegation of 8 from Clermont was present and requested a Farm to Market Road and stated they are willing to give the rights of way.
CITY OF CLERMONT Resolution requested the Board to place on its priority list the reconstruction and rebuilding of a new bridge and the resurfacing and reconstruction of a Farm to Market Road designated as Federal Aid Project #185B and more fully described in the resolution, which was filed. Also, they requested to be placed on the priority list the resurfacing and/or reconstruction of parts of SR 561.
A letter from Marvin Styles, Supv. Principal of Clermont Public Schools regarding the Lake Susan hump-backed wooden bridge near Clermont was read and filed.
CITY OF EUSTIS: Mr. Ernest Kidd, City Manager, came before the Board and went over the resolution adopted by the City of Eustis regarding widening SR 44 from S-452 to the east city limits of Eustis. The Resolution of the City Council of Eustis requesting that SR 19 approaching the City of Eustis and through said city be improved by “municipal section,” widening to 4-lanes, with provision for adequate drainage and parking and sidewalks from the area known as Haselton Heights on the north, through the City, and south to the intersection of the new US 441 and SR 19.
Don Porter of Eustis discussed the resolution regarding building a marina on Lake Eustis per water access law, which allows the SRD to install wayside parks and boat ramps in areas which have access to public waterways and are on secondary roads which connect with primary roads within a 2-mile limit. No action was taken on this request. The resolution was filed.
LETTER FROM CITY OF EUSTIS regarding provisions to complete the storm drainage situation on Orange Avenue between the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and Lake Eustis was read and filed.
Hugh Geiger of Eustis appeared before the Board and requested 3.9 miles of road to Geiger Farms to be placed in the secondary program. No action was taken on this request.
Doug Igou of Eustis discussed SR 44 and stated the County should request the change of traffic count to take in the payload of the County.
CITY OF GROVELAND: Mr. Joe Fairchild and Mr. Clayton Weir with 4 other persons were present and requested the widening of Highway 50, which has been requested by Resolution of the City of Groveland, the Town of Mascotte, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Kiwanis Club of Groveland. Copies of said resolutions were filed. Mr. Gano, President of C of C of Groveland, and Mr. Nash stated that Mr. Fairchild and Mr. Weir have covered their requests.
Commr. Cowart stated he has been to Tampa twice and to Sumter County about the extension of SR 19 to Zephyrhills in order to make a direct connection between Tampa and Jacksonville. Sumter County said they would go along with Lake on this, but Pasco County would not commit itself but would take it up with the Board of County Commissioners.
LAKE JEM: Mr. Dick Gardner from Venetian Village, who is President of the Chamber of Commerce, and Mrs. Lucile Severance appeared and requested resurfacing of S-448 from the Orange County line to the intersection of SR 561, approximately 6.5 miles.
LADY LAKE: Requested by letter Secondary Road from the Sumter County line to Lady Lake.
LEESBURG: By resolution requested resurfacing of SR 44 between Eustis and where said road intersects with US 441 near Leesburg.
MOUNT DORA: Roy Christopher, Attorney; Mr. Shipley; and Mr. Ling presented five road requests for Mount Dora as outlined in the Resolution by the City of Mount Dora. Al Rehbaum asked that Old US 441 be designated as a scenic route from the Orange County line to intersect proposed SR 500 in Tavares.
LAKE SAUNDERS: Mr. Christopher reported that the drainage easement on this lake is about 100 feet further east than it should be and encroaches on property that it should not be on. He asked that the Board execute a Quit Claim Deed changing the easement. Mr. Duncan was instructed to check on this problem.
TAVARES: By resolution of the City Council, a request was made that Sinclair Avenue from SR 19 South to the intersection of Ruby Street be constructed and rebuilt, Sinclair Avenue from SR 19 to Kentucky Avenue South be curb and gutter construction, and from Kentucky Avenue South to Givens Street be paved the full width from curb to curb, including the parking strip in the center and the arches at the intersection of Givens Street and Sinclair Avenue be removed. Also, that Dora Avenue (formerly SR 19) northerly from Irma Street to the City Limits be repaired and resurfaced.
UMATILLA: By resolution of the Town Council, a request was made that Central Avenue from Ocala Street North on the westerly side of ACL Railroad to the north town limits and from Ocala Street South on the easterly side of said ACL Railroad to south town limits be rebuilt.
Paul Husebo, Chairman of the Lake County Board of Visitors, appeared before the Board and requested by letter that Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Polhamus of Mount Dora be employed by the Board of County Commissioners as superintendent and matron of the Lake County Detention Facility and recommended $250 per month plus living facilities. Mr. Husebo stated the Board interviewed nine applicants. Chairman Cross extended thanks to the Board of Visitors for the gratis job it has done.
On a motion by Commr. Bishop, seconded by Commr. Theus that the Board of County Commissioners approve the selection of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Polhamus by the Board of Visitors as superintendent and matron of the Lake County Detention Facility at a salary of $250 per month plus living facilities and that they be employed as superintendent and matron of the Lake County Detention Facility was carried unanimously.
Chairman Cross said the Detention Facility should be activated as of March first. Commr. Theus stated they have an estimate of five items that will cost about $1,500. On a motion by Commr. Cowart, seconded by Commr. Simpson and carried, Commr. Theus was authorized to go ahead and get the supplies that are needed at an estimated cost of $1,500.
Doug Igou suggested that the County Commissioners of Marion County be requested to work with Lake County on getting the extension of S-452 into Oklawaha, which would shorten the route to Ocala by about five miles.
On a motion by Commr. Theus, seconded by Commr. Bishop and carried, Marshall Wilson and Harry Vogel of Leesburg were appointed right of way agents to acquire rights of way on Dixie Avenue – Road 33.
The Board adjourned for lunch and reconvened at 1:30 p.m.
The Board was called to order by Chairman Cross.
On a motion by Commr. Simpson, seconded by Commr. Bishop and carried, the Chairman and Clerk were authorized to execute SRD No. 52 (Resolution) covering an adjustment on Job 1110-2108; SR 44 and 44-A, Lake County (6 copies). (Electric poles owned by the Sumter Electric Cooperative, Inc. to be relocated by reason of R/W acquisition by SRD. Poles located on lands upon which Sumter Electric Cooperative, Inc. held private easements.)
Clerk Owens presented two checks in the amount of $150 each, one issued by Gorp Enterprises and one issued by Gorp Inc. to cover rental for the use and occupation of an area for parking heavy equipment belonging to Gordon & Pope Machinery Company. Mr. Owens was authorized to deposit the $300 to the Lake County General Revenue Fund on a motion by Commr. Simpson, seconded by Commr. Theus and carried.
On a motion by Commr. Simpson, seconded by Commr. Cowart and carried unanimously, the following resolution was adopted:
WHEREAS, the Board of County Commissioners of Lake County, Florida, has been requested by the State Road Department of the State of Florida to designate and request for the budget for the year beginning July 1, 1960 through June 30, 1961 Primary Roads to be constructed within said County during said period, and
WHEREAS, at a regular meeting on February 29, 1960, the County Commissioners in said meeting designated the Primary Roads for construction in Lake County in preferential order;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OF LAKE COUNTY, FLORIDA, that the State Road Department of the State of Florida be requested to construct in Lake County, Florida, the following designated Primary Roads in the following order:
LAKE COUNTY PRIMARY ROAD REQUESTS 1960-1961
1. Construct 4-lane SR 500 from Orange County line via Mount Dora northerly and westerly through Tavares and Leesburg to SR 25 North of Leesburg. Construct a wayside park and boat ramp on SR 500, Federal Highway 441, at a point just west of the mouth of the Dora Canal on Lake Eustis. (See resolution adopted September 3, 1957.)
2. Construct municipal section type road SR 50 from east City Limits of Groveland to intersection with SR 33 east of Mascotte.
3. Construct an underpass for SR 19 to pass under 25 at the intersection of said roads, southwesterly of Howey-in-the-Hills.
4. Construct municipal section type road, SR 19, one mile north of North City Limits of Eustis south to intersection of new SR 500. Also, construct municipal section type road, SR 44, from Fort Mason intersection of SR 44 and S-452 easterly to SR 19.
5. Four-lane SR 25 beginning at the intersection of SR 25 and SR 50, run north through Minneola to SR 561.
6. Construct municipal section type road, SR 46, from intersection of old SR 500 and SR 46 in Mount Dora east to new SR 500.
7. Resurface SR 44 beginning at intersection of SR 500 and SR 44, run easterly to S-452. Also, resurface SR 44 from east city limits of Eustis east to S-437.
8. Survey, locate, construct, and extend SR 19 from Groveland South, westerly to County line.
9. Four-lane SR 25 from Leesburg South to Polk County line.
10. Rebuild SR 19 from the north city limits of Umatilla south to SR 450 on the west side of Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and from SR 450 south to south city limits of Umatilla on the east side of Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
11. Four-lane SR 50 from Orange County line west to SR 25 at Clermont.
12. Four-lane SR 50 from SR 25 west to east city limits of Groveland.
13. Resurface SR 19 from Altoona north to S-445.
14. Designate present US 441 (SR 500) at its intersection with proposed SR 500 in Orange County and continue through Mount Dora and Tavares along the present route to intersect proposed SR 500 in Tavares as an alternate route and provide four-lane approaches at both intersections for a distance of at least one-fourth mile.
15. Widen and resurface SR 455 from present SR 50 north through Montverde to present SR 19.
16. Resurface SR 448 from SR 561 east through Lake Jem to the Orange County line.
17. Resurface SR 450 west from Umatilla to the Marion County line. Also, resurface SR 42 beginning at intersection SR 19 at Altoona, run west to the Lake County line.
(See additional request No. 18 made by a motion on March 7, 1960, on Page 5, Minute Book 18.)
SECONDARY ROAD REQUESTS:
On a motion by Commr. Theus, seconded by Commr. Bishop and carried unanimously, the following Resolution was adopted:
STATE OF FLORIDA COUNTY RESOLUTION ON USE OF 80% SEVENTH CENT GAS TAX AND OTHER SECONDARY ROAD FUNDS
YEAR 1960-61 COUNTY OF LAKE
WHEREAS, under Chapter 26.321 of the Extraordinary Session of 1949, known as the “Secondary Road Assistance Act of 1949” and Section No. 339.08 Florida Statutes of 1957, the State Road Department will receive 80% of the proceeds of this county’s pro-rata share of the Seventh Cent gasoline tax, to be used as prescribed by regulations of the said Department within this County, as requested by resolution of this Board of County Commissioners and approved by the Department for one or more of the following purposes: construction, reconstruction, maintenance, and repair of State roads and bridges; the lease or purchase of bridges connecting State roads; the acquisition of rights of way for State roads; and the reduction of road and bridge indebtedness; and
WHEREAS, the State Road Department has requested this County Board to recommend the purpose for which and the roads on which this County’s 80% surplus gas tax and Federal Aid Secondary allocations should be spent for construction and improvement, and
WHEREAS, the State Road Department requires this information so that it may be considered in the preparation of the Annual Budget of the State Road Department; and
WHEREAS, this Board conferred with the State Road Department concerning the projects to be selected and the specifications with respect thereto.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the State Road Department is hereby requested to use such funds for construction (including rights of way acquisition, surveys, maintenance, etc.) of the following roads:
LAKE COUNTY SECONDARY ROAD REQUESTS 1960-1961
1. Locate and construct S-565A, known as Monta Vista Road. Also, extension of S-565A from Vitti Corner easterly to SR 561.
2. Locate and construct Cherry Lake Road, SR 459 to SR 25.
3. Locate and construct S-33, Dixie Avenue, Canal Street to SR 500 in Leesburg.
4. Locate and construct S-561A, Lake Sheppard, to SR 455 at Ferndale.
5. Install drainage on SR 50 east of Clermont.
6. Locate and construct S-450 from SR 19 south of Umatilla to S-44A.
7. Locate and construct S-439 from SR 44 to SR 42.
8. Construct municipal section type road Donnelly Avenue, Mount Dora, from Old SR 500 to proposed SR 500.
9. Locate and construct extension of SR 19 from Groveland south to Lake County line (matching interfund contributions not to exceed $280,000).
10. Resurface SR 33 from SR 25 at Helena Run through Okahumpka to SR 50 at Mascotte.
11. Locate and construct road from SR 500 north via WLBE Radio Station to SR 44 at Orange Bend.
12. Resurface the road beginning at SR 25 and run along Hooks Street in Clermont, thence south along Lake Shore Drive on the east side of Lake Minnehaha to intersect SR 561. Also reconstruct bridge over Palatlakaha River.
13. Resurface Sinclair Avenue in Tavares from Ruby Street north to SR 19.
14. Construct 11th Avenue in Mount Dora from east city limits to proposed SR 500.
15. Construct a road from S-44A east of Umatilla via Umatilla Airport to S-450 approximately 2 miles.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the methods and standards employed by the State Road Department for determination of major improvement features, including the types and widths of pavement and the Department’s standard specifications for construction, are concurred in and approved by this Board. It is requested that the Department will consider the projects in the order listed above insofar as practicable, but not to the extent of retarding the whole program; that the termini of the projects as described in the resolution and shown on the accompanying map, rather than any estimate of funds, therefor, shall control the Department’s allocation of funds; that this resolution shall remain in effect throughout the year; and that after the current year, the recommendations of this resolution shall constitute a continuing improvement program for the County, unless changed by a subsequent annual resolution.
On a motion by Commr. Simpson, seconded by Commr. Bishop and carried, the following named persons were appointed appraisers on SR 44 from the east city limits of Eustis east to LaRoe’s Corner S-44A: Emery Dillard, E. R. Wait, and D. R. Igou.
/s/ Frank E. Owens___ /s/ Fred Cross __