MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING OF BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
MONDAY – february 20, 1967
The Board of County Commissioners met in the Commissioners’ Room in the Courthouse, in Tavares, on Monday, February 20, 1967, at 9:00 o’clock A.M. for the purpose of receiving primary and secondary road requests for the period from July 1, 1967 to June 30 1968, and any other matters which might be brought before the Board.
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman with the following members present: Chairman Dykes, Commrs. Cowart, Livingston and Babb. Commr. Theus was present at 9:20 A.M. and left at 10:00 o’clock A. M. Others present were Clerk Owens, Attorney Duncan, Engineer Hays and Deputy Clerk Norma Coven.
roads – state
The Chairman announced the requests will be heard in accordance with the schedule prepared by the Clerk, whereupon, representatives of the municipalities presented the following requests:
1) Tavares-Lake Eustis Wayside Park
a) Pave the parking area
b) Install sanitary facilities and picnic tables
c) Install water facilities
2) Improve access streets to school athletic field
a) Resurface New Hampshire Ave. from Givens Street to SR 500
b) Pave Givens Street from New Hampshire Ave. to Sinclair Ave.
3) Deceleration lane at intersection of SR 19 and Irma Street
MOUNT DORA –
1) Four-lane SR 46 from SR 500 to I-4 West of Sanford
2) Four-lane SR 19 from Golden Triangle Shopping Center to SR 500 overpass South of Eustis
3) Widen Eudora Road
4) Widen Highland Street (Old SR 500) from Fifth Avenue to Mount Dora City Limits
1) Widen SR 44 to 48 feet from East city limits to SR 19 and construct sidewalks
2) Four-lane SR 19 from North city limits to SR 42 at Altoona
3) Expand intersection of SR 19 and SR 500 to full cloverleaf
4) Four-lane SR 44 with municipal section from SR 19 and SR 44 at the North city limits West to Grand Island
5) Four-lane SR 19 from Herrick Avenue North to city limits
1) Acquire right of way from SR 500 to Kurt Street and construct, rebuild and widen Kurt Street to Lakeview Avenue then East on Lakeview to SR 19
2) Designate Grove Street as secondary road and widen and rebuild from Herrick Avenue South to SR 19
3) Widen and rebuild Woodward Avenue from Lakeshore Drive to Grove Street (SR 19) and construct sidewalks.
4) Designate Lakeview Avenue as secondary road from intersection of SR 19 East to intersect E. Crooked Lake Drive, to intersection of SR 500, widen and rebuild same.
5) Designate Haselton Street as a secondary road from Orange Avenue (SR 44) to E. Crooked Lake Drive and widen and rebuild same.
6) Install automatic signals at Atlantic Coast Line crossing on Lakeshore Drive and Woodward Avenue.
7) Install pedestrian overpass near the Taylor Street school crossing on State Road 19.
1) Install sidewalks on South side of Lakeshore Drive from Eustis Street to West city limits on North side from Grove Street to Jackson Street.
1) North – South artery from Dixie Avenue to connect with North Boulevard
2) Widen 14th Street from Sunshine Avenue to Dixie Avenue
3) Entrances and exits to Palm Plaza Shopping Center
4) Improve and widen intersection of 14th Street and Main Street
5) Widen SR 44 (Main Street) from Lake Street East to SR 500
1) Four-lane SR 19 from South city limits to North city limits of Eustis, and deceleration and acceleration lanes at Golden Gem
2) Four-lane SR 19 from SR 450 North to SR 42
1) Acquire right of way and pave road from SR 19 in Umatilla East over East Ocala Street to East Lake, along South edge of lake to intersect Saltsdale Community to SR 439.
1) Resurface SR 561 from SR 25 to SR 33
2) Four-lane SR 50 to Orange County Line with overpass or underpass at East Avenue, main route to school.
3) Four-lane SR 25 from North County Line to South County Line
4) Designate SR 19 as U.S. 23.
1) Resurface SR 50 from East town limits to West town limits
1) Resurface SR 455 from SR 561-A to SR 561
2) Four-lane SR 25 North of Minneola
1) Resurface SR 455 from SR 561-S to SR 19
1) Four-lane SR 50 from SR 33 to West limits of Mascotte
elections – special
On motion of Commr. Theus seconded by Commr. Livingston and carried, a Resolution was adopted relocating the voting place in Precinct No. 30 in Leesburg from the Gulf Service Station 1500 East Main Street to Hall’s Furniture and Auction Store, at the intersection of SR 44 and SR 550 (U.S. 441).
On recommendation of the Engineer and on motion of Commr. Livingston seconded by Commr. Cowart and carried, easements conveying the following described properties to Lake County were accepted and ordered recorded upon the public records:
GRANTORS: DWIGHT E. WOLF and wife, HELEN E. WOLF
THE WEST 15 FEET OF: The north 314.65 feet of the Southeast ¼ of the Northeast ¼ of Section 21, Township 19 South, Range 24 East, Lake County, Fla.
GRANTORS: LEON ETTINGER and wife, BEATRICE B. ETTINGER
Commence at the Southwest corner of Section 29, Township 22 South, Range 26 East, Lake County, Florida; thence run East 2,016.50 feet to the Point of Beginning; thence run North 0° 20’ East 200.00 feet; thence run East 15.00 feet; thence run South 0 °20’ West 200.00 feet; thence run West 15.00 feet to the Point of Beginning.
roads – county
On recommendation of the Engineer and on motion of Commr. Babb seconded by Commr. Cowart and carried, the following roads were approved to be added to the County Road System:
Muraro Grove Road off Empire Road – County Road #2-1211
Temple Hill Road – County Road #1-6708
Tall Palm Fish Camp Road – County Road #5-8599
road maintenance – subdivisions
The Engineer reported the Tropical Shores-Venetian Park Improvement Assn. has erected yellow buttons on the streets in the subdivisions and some of the residents are complaining and want the Board to have the markers removed. The Chairman directed the Attorney to advise the complaining parties the streets in the subdivisions have never been accepted by the County for maintenance, therefore, the Board has no jurisdiction over the matter.
Request from the Town of Fruitland Park for use of County clay pit and assistance in maintaining town streets was read. The Attorney was instructed to prepare contracts with the Town of Fruitland Park and Howey covering street maintenance.
roads – state
Mr. Arthur C. Faber, private resident of Lady Lake, was present and presented written request for the construction of apron and sign at the top of the hill on Griffin View Road for viewers to pull off the road when sightseeing. Engineer Hays sated this is not County right of way, therefore, cannot comply with this request. Mr. Faber’s second request relative to County Road #1-7316 was referred to the Engineer.
state road department
On motion of Commr. Babb seconded by Commr. Livingston and carried, the Engineer was instructed to have retaining wall built by the State Road Department maintenance crew for Clyde Ransick on State Road 19.
Motion was made by Commr. Babb seconded by Commr. Livingston and carried, authorizing the Clerk to advertise for bids for microfilm processor to be received March 13, 1967.
Chairman Dykes stated the committee appointed to study the ambulance problem will meet Friday, February 24, 1967, at 7:30 o’clock P.M. in the Courthouse.
The Chairman set Friday, February 24th at 9 o’clock A.M. for special meeting to designate primary and secondary road requests, whereupon, the Board recessed until that time.